Manufactured Gas Plants
Former Oroville Manufactured Gas Plant
Under the oversight of the California Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC), PG&E has a voluntary program to address potential environmental impacts from historical manufactured gas plants (MGPs). This program includes a former MGP site in Oroville between Huntoon and Meyers Streets, north of Montgomery Street. The site is currently owned by the City of Oroville and is used for public parking for the Centennial Cultural Center and is also the location of a storm water pumping station.
PG&E conducted a second phase of site investigation in January 2012 to help determine the extent of MGP impacts at the site. The results will also be used to determine if additional investigation or cleanup is necessary. The investigation and possible cleanup of former MGP sites can range from 2-5 years depending on the extent of work needed.
All work is coordinated closely with the City of Oroville and local merchants to minimize or avoid disrupting local businesses and community events. The community is kept informed of progress through work notices and other outreach as appropriate.
The former Oroville MGP operated from 1878 until 1927. PG&E acquired the gas plant around 1916 when the company was formed, and ran it until its closure. The plant was later dismantled and PG&E sold the vacant MGP parcels to the City of Oroville in 1964.
- Work Notice – November 2011 (PDF, 100 KB)
- Work Notice – October 2010
- DTSC Resources & Contact Information
Site-related documents can also be found at:
Butte County Library – Oroville, 1820 Mitchell Ave., Oroville (530-578-7641)