Manufactured Gas Plants
Former Oakland Manufactured Gas Plant
PG&E, under the oversight of the California Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC), has been working to remediate a former manufactured gas plant (MGP) site near the Oakland Inner Harbor. The site consists of two properties: the Gas Load Center parcel at 50 Market Street and the Substation C parcel at 101 Jefferson Street.
Remediation of the Gas Load Center parcel was completed in 2008, and certified by DTSC in 2009. Remediation of the Substation C parcel, which included constructing a concrete sidewalk as a “cap” over the currently unpaved sidewalk areas immediately adjacent to the substation, was completed in February 2012. PG&E conducts ongoing groundwater monitoring and annual cap inspections. Results show that the remedy continues to be protective of human health and the environment.
The community has been kept informed through work notices, fact sheets and door-to-door outreach as appropriate.
The former Oakland MGP operated from 1905 to 1930. The plant was on standby status from 1930 to 1958, and was dismantled in 1961. Between 1965 and 1984, southern portions of the historic MGP parcel were sold to the Port of Oakland and today comprise part of the Howard Terminal.
A PG&E electric transmission substation currently operates at Substation C. The Gas Load Center parcel has been vacant since 2003, except for a PG&E aboveground gas transmission pipeline that transects the northern portion of the Gas Load Center parcel.
Site-related documents can also be found at:
West Oakland Library, 1801 Adeline Street, Oakland (510-238-7352)