Manufactured Gas Plants
Former Monterey Manufactured Gas Plant
PG&E, under the oversight of the California Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC), is voluntarily investigating the site of a former manufactured gas plant (MGP), historically located at the southwest corner of Figueroa Street and Del Monte Avenue in Monterey.
PG&E has performed several phases of investigation to help determine the extent of remediation that may be necessary for soil and groundwater at this site. Remediation on the PG&E property was completed in August 2010, and included installing a concrete cap and aboveground landscaping of the exterior portions of the substation. PG&E received a thank you letter from the Mayor of Monterey (PDF, 30 KB) for the site beautification that was performed as part of the remediation.
Beginning in September 2011, PG&E remediated soils beneath a portion of the City of Monterey's West Catellus parking lot located directly across Del Monte Avenue from the PG&E substation. The work was completed in January 2012.
Previously, work was conducted on one half of the former MGP property, purchased by the City of Monterey in 1965. The City built a public sports complex there after investigation and remediation of the site was complete. A PG&E substation currently operates on the other half of the parcel.
PG&E keeps the surrounding community informed of site activities through work notices and project updates or door-to-door outreach (PDF, 591 KB) as appropriate.
The Monterey MGP operated from 1902 until 1929, and was dismantled in 1934.
- Work Notice – September 2011
- Work Notice – June/July 2010 (PDF, 113 KB)
- DTSC Resources & Contact Information
Site-related documents can also be found at:
Monterey Branch Library, 625 Pacific Ave., Monterey (831-646-3932)