Manufactured Gas Plants

Former Madera Manufactured Gas Plant

As part of a voluntary program under the oversight of the California Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC), PG&E has investigated and remediated the site of a former manufactured gas plant (MGP), historically located at the intersection of East Ninth and South E Streets in Madera. The site is now a parking lot for a PG&E-owned construction yard.

Remediation and site restoration was completed in October 2011 by removal of contaminated soil. PG&E conducted a post-remediation evaluation in its June 2012 Onsite Remediation Closure Report and verified that our goal of unrestricted site use was achieved. DTSC agreed with this determination in a June 2012 approval letter.


The former Madera MGP operated from 1913 to 1931. PG&E purchased the property in 1931 from the company now known as the Southern California Gas Company, which had previously purchased it from Madera Gas Company. PG&E and Southern California Gas are working together on this project.


Recent News

Additional Resources:

Site-related documents can also be found at:
Madera County Library –121 North G Street, Madera (559-675-7871)

All MGP Locations
Chico Oakdale San Rafael
Colusa Oakland Santa Cruz
Daly City Oroville Santa Rosa
Eureka Red Bluff Selma
Fresno - 1 Redding St. Helena
Fresno - 2 Redwood City Stockton
Hollister Sacramento -1 Tracy
Lodi Salinas Turlock
Madera San Francisco - Adjacent To Potrero Vallejo
Marysville - 1 San Francisco - Beach Street Watsonville - 1
Merced San Francisco - Fillmore Watsonville - 2
Modesto - 1 San Francisco - North Beach Willows
Monterey San Francisco - Potrero Woodland
Napa San Luis Obispo - 1
  • Ways To Pay
  • Business Tools
  • High tech incentives