Manufactured Gas Plants
Former Lodi Manufactured Gas Plant
PG&E is working to address environmental impacts at the site of a former manufactured gas plant (MGP) at 712 South Sacramento Street in Lodi, California. The MGP operated from 1913 until 1928. PG&E acquired the plant in 1926 and operated it until its closure. PG&E sold the property in 1956 and it was used for a variety of commercial/industrial purposes until PG&E repurchased it in 2006 to conduct investigation and remediation activities. The site is situated in a mixed-use, commercial/residential area and is currently vacant. All work is being conducted voluntarily by PG&E and is being overseen by the California Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC).
Site investigation work was recently completed to determine the extent of MGP residues left in soil, soil gas (air in between soil particles) and groundwater. It has been determined that groundwater is not affected. A draft cleanup plan to address soil and soil gas at the site, called a Removal Action Workplan (RAW), has been approved by DTSC and remediation is expected to begin in fall 2013.
PG&E will continue to keep the community informed about this project through fact sheets, work notices and other outreach, as appropriate.
- Removal Action Workplan – July 2012 (PDF, 9.9 MB)
- Fact Sheet – May 2012 (PDF, 770 KB)
- Work Notice – September 2010
- Work Notice – July 2010
- Work Notice – November 2009
- DTSC Resources & Contact Information
Site-related documents can also be found at:
Lodi Public Library, 201 West Locust Street, Lodi (209-333-5566)