Manufactured Gas Plants
Former Fresno-2 Manufactured Gas Plant
PG&E is working to address environmental impacts at the site of a former manufactured gas plant (MGP) located on Mariposa Street, between F and G streets, in Fresno, California (Site). The MGP operated from 1881 to 1919. PG&E acquired the plant in 1905 when the company was formed. PG&E sold most of the MGP parcels in 1919, and the remainder in 1942. Under new ownership, the parcels comprising the Site have since been used for a variety of commercial and industrial purposes. Currently, the parcels are occupied by a restaurant and its parking lot, a vehicle storage and repair yard, an auto repair garage, and a vacant lot. All work is being conducted voluntarily by PG&E and is being overseen by the Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC).
In 2011, PG&E conducted on-site investigations to determine if any gas plant residues remain in the soil in the area where the plant once operated. Based on sampling results, PG&E has designed and submitted a draft Removal Action Plan (draft RAP) to DTSC to address residues in soil at the Site in a manner that will limit impacts to area businesses. As part of the draft RAP design, PG&E conducted a pilot study to determine if a green technology that heats up contaminants in the soil and treats them on-site is a viable cleanup method. It is anticipated that the draft RAP will be available for public review and comment in fall 2014. All work has been and will be conducted in close coordination with the City of Fresno and the surrounding community.
PG&E will continue to keep the community informed about the project through fact sheets, work notices and other outreach, as appropriate.
- PG&E Fact Sheet – September 2013 (PDF, 209 KB)
- Public Notice & Community Survey – May 2011
- DTSC Resources & Contact Information