Manufactured Gas Plants
Former Chico Manufactured Gas Plant
As part of a voluntary program under the oversight of the California Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC), PG&E is working to clean up and restore two properties that comprised a historic manufactured gas plant (MGP) site near 825 West Second Street in Chico. A PG&E substation occupies one of the parcels; the other property is no longer owned by PG&E and is used for office space and parking.
In June 2010, PG&E conducted the final phase of environmental cleanup work in what is now a Chico State University parking lot at the northeast corner of West Orange and West Third Streets. The parking lot was fully restored following the removal of soil impacted by former gas plant residues.
The first phase of work at this site took place in 2006 and also included soil removal and restoration of portions of the parking lot. The second phase of soil cleanup occurred in 2007 and included replacement of sidewalks and replanting of trees along Orange Street between West Second and West Third Streets. PG&E continues to monitor groundwater conditions beneath the site.
The former Chico MGP operated from 1874 to 1928. The plant became part of PG&E when the company was formed in 1905. While most of the plant facilities were dismantled by 1930, the gas holder remained in place until 1951. The former generator building remains onsite today and is used as a carpentry shop and an office. An electric substation has also been in operation at this location since the 1960s.
Site-related documents can also be found at:
Meriam Library, Special Collections Department, California State University, Chico (530-895-5710)
Butte County Library, Chico Branch, 1108 Sherman Avenue, Chico (530-891-3762)