New Solar Homes Partnership—Before You Apply
Installing Solar When Building New Homes
The New Solar Homes Partnership (NSHP) program is for builders and owners of new residential homes. If you want a rebate for a solar system on an existing home or if the solar system will be for a nonresidential application, you will need to apply to the California Public Utilities Commission's California Solar Initiative (CSI) program.
- Ensure that the new home will be receiving electric distribution service from PG&E. You will need to complete an application for new service.
- Complete an application for interconnection under the Net Energy Metering (NEM) program for the solar energy system. Net metering will provide you with an ongoing benefit for going solar by crediting your account for the electricity that the solar energy system sends back to the grid at a full retail price.
- Apply for additional incentives through the California Advanced Homes Program (CAHP), a statewide program which highlights best practices in energy efficiency, green building, and sustainability.
- Hire an energy consultant, who is certified as a Certified Energy Plans Examiner (CEPE) by the California Association of Building Energy Consultants (CABEC), to complete the Title 24 Standards compliance analysis and energy efficiency documentation.
- Contact several CEC approved solar contractors/retailers to obtain bids before deciding on the equipment type and contractor/retailer.
- Contact one of the CEC approved Home Energy Rating System (HERS) Providers to arrange for field verification by a certified HERS Rater. The HERS Program is statewide and provides a reliable way to estimate and compare the energy efficiency of California homes and identify wise energy saving improvements. Consider involving the HERS Rater early in the construction process as some energy efficiency measures have to be inspected before drywall.
- Review and comply with the instructions in the NSHP Guidebook to avoid submitting an incomplete application and delaying the review/approval process.