Diablo Canyon Power Plant
Welcome to Diablo Canyon
Diablo Canyon Power Plant is a safe, clean, reliable and vital resource for all California. The plant provides low-cost, clean electricity for more than three million PG&E customers. Click on the links below to learn more about Diablo Canyon’s operations and license extension process.
Taking Care of the Environment
Nuclear power plants like Diablo Canyon emit virtually no greenhouse gasses during the production of electricity.
- Diablo Canyon is located on one of the most scenic and habitat-rich coastlines in the country. It is surrounded by roughly 12,000 acres of land that is managed by PG&E and largely maintained in a natural state as a home to many species of plant and animal wildlife that thrive on land, as well as in the ocean and intertidal zones. PG&E’s responsible stewardship of this precious natural resource allows for scientists and others to explore its habitat and ecology.
- Power produced at Diablo Canyon adds to the region’s energy diversity, reducing dependence on a single source of electricity.
A Good Neighbor
At PG&E, we pride ourselves in doing more than just a job – we strive to provide the best service to our customers and remain good neighbors to the communities in which we work and live. Diablo Canyon is no exception.
- In 2011, PG&E made charitable contributions of approximately $1,100,000 to more than 90 nonprofit organizations in San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara Counties.
- Many company employees volunteer thousands of hours of their personal time to after-school athletic programs, environmental organizations, religious organizations, Boy & Girl Scout programs and to other worthy community organizations.
- In 2011, PG&E employees contributed more than $429,100 to nonprofit organizations in San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara Counties through the company’s “Campaign for the Community” program. Those contributions to educational and environmental organizations were matched by PG&E.
Diablo Canyon Newsroom
- Diablo Canyon Ground Motion Characterization Model Update Workshop
- Diablo Canyon Unit 1 Begins Scheduled Refueling and Maintenance Outage
- PG&E's Diablo Canyon Unit 2 Returns to Service
- PG&E Teams With San Luis Obispo To Save Money And Electricity
- Unit 2 at PG&E's Diablo Canyon Power Plant Safely Shut Down Following Electrical Disturbance
- View all News Releases
Articles and Perspectives About Diablo Canyon
Diablo Canyon Economic Impact Study
Learn about the positive economic benefits of Diablo Canyon.