Outage Compensation - Frequently Asked Questions
- How soon should I call Pacific Gas and Electric Company about my outage?We rely on customers like you to tell us when your power is out—you are an important part of our ability to identify and respond to damage caused by storms, heat, accidents and other occurrences that can affect power lines. Your correct phone number on file with us (the phone number associated with the place where you get service), allows us to provide you with more accurate information about the status of the outage you are experiencing. If you have any doubts about whether or not we have that number on file, please call us any time at 1-800-PGE-5000. Update your phone number—don't wait for a storm.
- Should I then call again if my outage goes beyond 48 hours?If you have gone without power for more than 48 hours you can call our special outage hotline (1-888-743-4743 or 1-888-PGE-4PGE) to speak with a service representative about your particular outage and the services available to you.
- If I accept your check, do I forfeit my right to submit a claim should I have damages due to being without power for this extended period of time?The check has no bearing on your right to submit a claim. We want to send the check simply as our acknowledgment of the inconvenience we know the extended outage caused you.
- What happens if I know I was out for more than 48 hours but didn't get a check?In most cases, Pacific Gas and Electric Company will be able to identify customers who are eligible to receive a check from internal records. However, if your power was out over 48 hours and you do not receive a check within 60 days of your outage, please call 1-800-743-5000 to alert our service representative.
- What if I call the 48-hour extended outage number even though I haven't been out of power for 48 hours?We won't hang up on you, but you may prevent others who really need to get through from making contact with a live representative. The 48-hour line is intended to work much like the 911 number you call for emergencies. Both lines will put you through to individuals who can help, but only if the lines remain open for true emergencies. Please don't call the 48-hour line unless you've truly gone without power for more than 48 hours.
- Will I get paid if my outage is not caused by a severe storm?Outages not caused by emergency events such as severe storm conditions are covered by another Pacific Gas and Electric Company program, known as the Service Guarantee Program. Under this program, we will credit your bill $25 for each 24-hour period after you have been without power for 24 hours.
- Is the storm inconvenience payment available for all customers?This storm inconvenience payment will be paid only to residential customers. However, all customers without power for longer than 48 hours can call 1-888-743-4743 or 1-888-PGE-4PGE.
- What is the purpose of this program?The program's intent is to acknowledge the particular inconvenience to those residential customers who are without power for 48 hours or longer due to severe events such as storms.
- How is this program funded?This voluntary program is paid for by Pacific Gas and Electric Company's shareholders, not by its customers.