Here are helpful tips and information:
- Never use products inside the home that generate dangerous levels of carbon monoxide, such as generators, barbecues, propane heaters and charcoal.
- When using the fireplace to stay warm, make sure the flue is open so that the byproducts of combustion can vent safely through the chimney.
- Carbon monoxide is a colorless, tasteless and odorless gas produced by the burning of fossil fuels and wood. If unsafe concentrations of carbon monoxide are not detected, the result can be fatal.
- In general, properly installed and maintained natural gas appliances produce very little to no carbon monoxide.
- As part of customers' gas service, PG&E representatives are available to inspect gas appliances and make sure they are working safely. For more winter heating safety information, go to pge.com/safetycentral.
- You can also view a gas safety video on Carbon Monoxide.