Program Guidelines

  • The PG&E bill must be in your name. (For sub-metered tenants, the energy bill from your landlord must be in your name.)
  • You must live at the address where the discount will be received.
  • You may not be claimed as a dependent on another person's income tax return other than your spouse.
  • You may not share an energy meter with another home.
  • You must account for all sources of qualifying household income and meet the program income guidelines.
  • You must notify PG&E if your household no longer qualifies for the CARE discount.
  • Following enrollment, you may be required to provide proof of qualifying household income, including IRS Tax Return Transcripts, and agreeing to participate in the Energy Savings Assistance program to remain enrolled in CARE.
  • Your monthly electric usage must not exceed six times the Tier 1 allowance, which is the lowest-priced rate tier within PG&E’s standard Tiered Base Plan.
  • You are required to renew your eligibility every two years (four years if fixed income).

Qualification is based on the total income of everyone living in the home OR participation in qualifying public assistance programs.

Household Income

Combine all household members' incomes from all eligible sources (see list below table) to get your total gross annual household income. To qualify, the total combined gross annual household income (based on the number of household members) must be at or below the amount shown in the table.

Number of Persons in HouseholdTotal Gross Annual Household Income*
1-2 $32,040 or less
3 $40,320 or less
4 $48,600 or less
5 $56,880 or less
6 $65,160 or less
7 $73,460 or less
8 $81,780 or less
9 $90,100 or less
10 $98,420 or less
Each additional person, add $8,320
*Before taxes based on current income sources.
Note: Valid through May 31, 2017.

Total gross annual household income includes all taxable and nontaxable revenues from all people living in the home, from whatever sources derived, including, but not limited to, wages, salaries, interest, dividends, spousal and child support payments, public assistance payments, Social Security and pensions, housing and military subsidies, rental income, income from self-employment and all employment-related, non-cash income.

Public Assistance Programs

You may also qualify for the CARE program if you or someone in your household participate in any of the following public assistance programs and your household income meets the program income guidelines.

  • Medicaid/Medi-Cal
  • Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
  • CalFresh/SNAP (Food Stamps)
  • Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
  • Women, Infants and Children (WIC)
  • Medi-Cal for Families (Healthy Families A&B)
  • CalWORKs (TANF) or Tribal TANF
  • National School Lunch Program (NSLP)
  • Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance
  • Head Start Income Eligible (Tribal Only)