PG&E’s natural gas system spans 70,000 square miles and serves one out of every 20 Americans. Natural gas is a key energy source for customers in California and across the United States. In most major cities, natural gas is the clean fuel of choice for heating and cooking. More than 1.5 million miles of transmission pipelines and distribution systems exist in the United States, while PG&E’s gas transmission and distribution system delivers natural gas to more than four million people. If built in a straight line, PG&E’s gas pipeline network would run from California to Boston and back 15 times.
PG&E’s customers depend on the power that more than 21,000 men and women at PG&E work to provide in order to accomplish everyday commitments and enjoy special moments in their lives. This means PG&E’s responsibility is to deliver not only what our customer’s expect, but what they deserve – a safe, reliable, and affordable gas system.
By the Numbers:
- PG&E is one of the largest combined gas and electric companies in the United States with over 70,000 square miles of service area in Northern and Central California.
- PG&E’s service area stretches from Eureka in the north to Bakersfield in the south and from the Pacific Ocean in the west to the Sierra Nevada in the east.
- PG&E serves 6 million electric and gas customers, providing energy to 15 million people - one out of every 20 Americans.
- PG&E has more than 6,700 miles of gas transmission pipeline and 42,000 miles of gas distribution pipeline.
- PG&E delivers 970 billion cubic feet (BCF) of gas per year (2.6 BCF/day).
- 833 of PG&E’s fleet vehicles are fueled by natural gas; 272 are dedicated natural gas vehicles.
- 25 percent of PG&E’s power mix is comprised of natural gas.