- The PG&E bill must be in your name. (For sub-metered tenants, the energy bill from your landlord must be in your name.)
- You must live at the address where the discount will be received.
- You may not be claimed as a dependent on another person's income tax return other than your spouse.
- You may not share an energy meter with another home.
- You must account for all sources of qualifying household income and meet the program income guidelines.
- You must notify PG&E if your household no longer qualifies for the CARE discount.
- Following enrollment, you may be selected for income verification and must provide proof of qualifying household income in order to remain on the program.
- You are required to recertify your eligibility every two years (four years if fixed income).
Combine all household members' incomes from all eligible sources (see list below table) to get your total gross annual household income. To qualify, the total combined gross annual household income (based on the number of household members) must be at or below the amount shown in the table.
|Size of Household||CARE |
|1 ||$22,340 |
|2 ||$30,260 |
|3 ||$38,180 |
|4 ||$46,100 |
|5 ||$54,020 |
|6 ||$61,940 |
|7 ||$69,860 |
|8 ||$77,780 |
|Each Additional Person Add ||$7,920 |
*Before taxes based on current income sources
Effective June 1, 2012 to May 31, 2013
A household's income includes money from all household members, from whatever source derived (taxable or non-taxable), including but not limited to the following:
- Wages or Salaries
- Interest and/or Dividends from: Savings Accounts, Stocks, Bonds, Retirement Accounts
- Unemployment Benefits
- Rental or Royalty Income
- School grants, scholarships or other aid used for living expenses
- Profit from Self-Employment
- Disability Payments
- Workers Compensation Payments
- Social Security, SSI, SSP, SSDI
- Insurance Settlements
- Legal Settlements
- CalWORKs (TANF)
- CalFresh/SNAP (Food Stamps)
- Child Support
- Spousal Support
- Cash and/or Other Income
You may also qualify for the CARE program if you or someone in your household participate in any of the following public assistance programs and your household income meets the program income guidelines.