Building and Renovation Services—FAQ

Answers to your questions during every stage of your project.

How do I contact my assigned PG&E service representative?
Your assigned PG&E representative should provide you with a direct email address and phone number that you may call any time. You may also call the Building and Renovation Service Center 1-877-743-7782. If your PG&E representative is unavailable for a day or more, you will be directed to another representative who can help you.

How do I contact PG&E building and renovation services?
Your PG&E representative will serve as the liaison between you and PG&E building and renovation services. You do not need to contact construction teams directly.

Where do I return my signed design contract and engineering advance?
Your contract packet will include return envelopes. To avoid delay processing your contract, please use the envelope provided. Local PG&E offices cannot accept these contracts.

Should you misplace them, mail your signed PG&E design contract to:

PO BOX 997340
Sacramento, CA 95899-7340

Send payment of your engineering advance to:

Bill Print Mail and Payment Processing Facility
PO Box 997310
Sacramento, CA 95899-7310

How do I submit the results of my local inspection?
Many municipal agencies send us the results automatically at the end of the business day. Check with the agency that performs the inspection for its process.

Send Northern Region panel inspection results to the Sacramento Resource Management Center FAX: 1-800-700-5723 or email

Counties in Northern Region are Alameda, Butte, Colusa, Contra Costa, El Dorado, Glenn, Humboldt, Lake, Lassen, Marin, Mendocino, Modoc, Napa, Nevada, Placer, Plumas, Sacramento, San Francisco, San Mateo, Shasta, Sierra, Siskiyou, Sonoma, Sutter, Tehama, Trinity, Yolo, and Yuba.

Send Southern Region panel inspection results to the Fresno Resource Management Center.
FAX: 1-800-700-5722

Counties in Southern Region are Alpine, Amador, Calaveras, Fresno, Kern, Kings, Madera, Mariposa, Merced, Monterey, San Benito, San Bernardino, San Joaquin, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, Stanislaus, Tulare, and Tuolumne.

How long does it take to get gas or electric service connected?
Service connection time varies. It may take as little as six weeks or longer from the time you submit your application. The length of time depends on the complexity of your project and number of projects in progress with PG&E.

How long will it take to schedule an initial site visit?
Within three days after you submit your application for gas or electric service, a PG&E representative will contact you to verify the information you have given us and to arrange a site visit, if necessary. Typically the site visit can take place within two weeks.

Do I need to hire a contractor?
Any trenching, plumbing, or electrical service that is required to prepare for your new gas or electric service is your responsibility. You may do this work yourself or hire a licensed contractor.

Do I need any permits?
It is your responsibility to secure any permits your locality requires and to arrange for inspections by municipal offices. PG&E will verify that you have complied with these requirements and may perform additional inspections before connecting your gas or electric service.

Building and renovation projects are subject to many standards. The State of California issues plumbing, electrical, and mechanical codes. Each city and county has its own ordinances. The California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) regulates the installation and delivery of gas and electric services. PG&E will not establish services until gas piping and electric services facilities conform to all of these rules. We impose additional standards so that we may provide safe and reliable power to you and your neighbors.

What is SACAC?
The Statement of Applicant's Contract Anticipated Costs refers to the estimated costs you provide on Form 79-1003, which you must complete and sign when you request service. If you hire a contractor, your contractor should make the cost estimate for you.

Will I need temporary power?
Most likely you will want to request temporary power if you will be doing construction or using electrical equipment at the site before your permanent service is installed. For more information on requesting temporary power refer to the Electric Service Temporary Construction Power Guide (PDF, 117 KB).

To request temporary power, call 1-877-743-7782 or apply online.

How do I determine my gas and electric load requirements?
Many manufacturers include energy usage information in a product's user manuals or on the body of the equipment. Your plumbing, or electrical contractor can help determine these loads.

How do I determine where to place my gas meter?
Hire an experienced plumber to avoid common problems. Your gas meter should be placed outside of the structure in a readily accessible area that is protected from corrosion and other damage such as vandalism. If the meter must be placed close to oncoming vehicle traffic, install the meter as far as possible from the vehicular path or surround it with barrier posts (or "bollards").

The meter may also be placed in a breezeway that is well ventilated with outside air. If possible, one end of the breezeway should open into a large, unobstructed space and the other should include two vents. At minimum, both ends must have vents at top and bottom of the space.

PG&E must approve the placement of your gas meter.

To find preferred gas meter locations refer to the gas service section in PG&E's Greenbook. If you are also requesting an electric service, make sure you have adequate separation between the gas and electric meters.

Will I need to be present when my gas meter is set?
Yes. When PG&E sets the meter, we will check your appliances and light any pilots.

How do I determine where to place my electrical panel?
Hire an experienced electrician to avoid common problems. In areas served by overhead lines, PG&E will install a drop from the distribution point to an attachment point on your property. The drop must meet PG&E specification in several areas, such as clearance from the ground and distance from electric service facilities. If possible, the connecting span should not cross adjacent property. The electrical panel for underground service should be attached to a wall, if possible.

PG&E must approve the locations for all transformers and meters, as well as the sizes, types, and quantities of conduit.

To find preferred electric meter locations refer to PG&E's Greenbook in the following sections:

Will I need to be present when my electric meter is set?
You will not need to be present when your electric meter is set as long as it is accessible to our crews. However, if your panel is energized by jumpers from an old panel, these will need to be removed by a licensed electrician before PG&E can set the meter.

Will I need to excavate a trench? What are the requirements?
Hire an experienced trenching contractor to avoid common problems. See the Getting Started Guide for Trenching (PDF, 116 KB) for more details.

My trench has been completed. How do I get it inspected?
When you are ready for your trench to be inspected, contact the local trench inspection desk to schedule an appointment with the PG&E inspector. Your PG&E representative will provide the number for the trench inspection desk. You must be present for the appointment. The inspector will provide you or your trenching contractor with the results at that time, and let you know what (if any) additional work is needed.

What forms of payment do you accept?
You may pay PG&E with check, cashier's check, or money order.

Can I make installment payments when I receive my bill for the construction services?
PG&E requires payment in full before beginning construction or installing a meter.

What is the ITCC tax?
The Income Tax Component of Contribution (ITCC) was established as part of the 1986 Federal Tax Reform Act. It requires the payment of tax on the advance payment collected for installing facilities. PG&E collects this tax in accordance with guidelines established by the California Public Utilities Commission.


Customer Connections Online

Note: To access your PG&E utility account or pay your bill, please visit My Account.

Apply online to connect or make changes to gas and electric services.

New? Register here or view a video to learn more about Customer Connections Online

Am I Plug-in Ready?