Pacific Gas and Electric Company’s Asian Employees Association Awards $36,000 in Scholarships to Twelve High School Students
Release Date: May 29, 2008
Contact: PG&E External Communications (415) 973-5930
SAN FRANCISCO – Pacific Gas and Electric Company and its Asian Employees Association (AEA) today awarded twelve university-bound students with $3,000 scholarships each for demonstrated excellence in leadership, community service, and academic achievement.
“We are pleased to honor these well-deserving students with scholarships that reflect the excellence and diversity of our PG&E community,” said Bill Morrow, president and chief executive officer of PG&E. “As part of our ongoing effort to promote and encourage scholastic achievement and community leadership, and through their hard work and determination, these young leaders of tomorrow are poised for long-term success.”
For winner Zi Peng, a first-generation immigrant student who spoke no English when he moved to the United States in 2004 and began attending high school, the scholarship will help him go to college and achieve his dreams.
"Encouragement and building self-esteem are key factors in the success in the face of a strange new world,” said Zi Peng, who learned to speak fluent English and maintained an un-weighted 4.0 GPA at Lincoln High School in San Francisco. “I’m grateful to PG&E, my family and friends who helped me to achieve my goal.”
The 2008 recipients were chosen from almost 120 applications submitted by college-bound high school seniors throughout PG&E's service territory. Each of this year’s selected applicants have displayed leadership and demonstrated a commitment to their communities and families, in addition to their outstanding scholastic achievements.
This year’s AEA Scholarship Fund is the result of $23,000 raised through Campaign for the Community and a $10,000 grant from Corporate Charitable Contributions, which is funded entirely by shareholder dollars.
Recipients of the 2008 Pacific Gas and Electric Company AEA Scholarship are:
- Jason Bakhshi of Terra Linda High School attending University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)
- Vijay Chetty of Saratoga High School attending Princeton University
- Connie Cheung of Wallenberg High School attending Smith College
- Alison Fong of Alameda Science & Technology Institute attending Stanford University
- Xu Hua (Becky) Fu of Inderkum High School attending University of California, Davis (UC Davis)
- Takeshi Kaji of Lowell High School attending Columbia University
- Zi Peng of Abraham Lincoln High School attending University of California, Berkeley (UC Berkeley)
- Deepti Rajendran of Saratoga High School attending University of California, Berkeley (UC Berkeley)
- Cameron Shew of Gilroy High School attending Cal Polytechnic State University
- Pin (Dan) Xu of San Marin High School attending University of California, Berkeley (UC Berkeley)
- Jingkun (Ginger) Yang of Monta Vista High School attending Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
- Stephanie Yee of Lowell High School attending University of California, Davis (UC Davis)
Pacific Gas and Electric Company, a subsidiary of PG&E Corporation, is one of the largest combined natural gas and electric utilities in the United States. Based in San Francisco, with 20,000 employees, the company delivers some of the nation’s cleanest energy to 15 million people in northern and central California. For more information, visit www.pge.com.