Manufactured Gas Plants
Former Woodland Manufactured Gas Plant
PG&E is working to address environmental impacts at the site of a former manufactured gas plant (MGP) at Fourth and Main streets in Woodland, California. The MGP operated from 1871 to 1921. PG&E acquired the plant in 1905 when the company was formed, and operated it from about 1907 until its closure. PG&E used the site for a variety of company activities until the late 1930s. The parcels that housed the former plant were sold in mid-1955, and the remainder of the property was sold shortly thereafter. All work is being conducted voluntarily by PG&E and is being overseen by the California Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC).
Remedial Investigation work at the site began in spring 2012 and phase two sampling data is currently being evaluated. Based on investigation results, PG&E will decide if further investigation work is necessary to prepare the draft cleanup plan. If so, further investigations will occur in early 2014. Where possible, work will be designed such that it minimizes impact to the current property owners' business operations and the downtown community while achieving remediation goals.
PG&E will continue to keep the community informed about the project through fact sheets, work notices and other outreach, as appropriate.
- Site Investigation Work Notice - March 2013 (PDF, 72 KB)
- Site Investigation Work Notice - April 2012 (PDF, 90 KB)
- DTSC Resources & Contact Information