Manufactured Gas Plants

Former Stockton Manufactured Gas Plant

PG&E has a voluntary manufactured gas plant (MGP) program, under the oversight of the California Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC), to address the environmental impacts of plants that operated between the late 1800s and early 1900s. This program includes a former MGP site at 530 South Center Street in Stockton. The site is currently the location of a PG&E service center and an electric substation.

PG&E completed remediation at this site in 2000, following a series of environmental investigations. Remedial work included removal of impacted soil and installation of an asphalt cap to protect against potential public exposure to gas plant residues and to protect site groundwater. PG&E continues to monitor groundwater conditions and conducts annual cap inspections and maintenance, and reports results to DTSC.

The former Stockton MGP operated from 1860 to 1930 on the portion of the site that is now a service center. PG&E acquired the site in 1927, put the plant on standby status in 1930, and shut down the plant in 1955. An electric substation was constructed on the non-MGP portion of the site in 1891, where a PG&E substation operates today.


Additional Resources

All MGP Locations
Chico Oakdale San Rafael
Colusa Oakland Santa Cruz
Daly City Oroville Santa Rosa
Eureka Red Bluff Selma
Fresno - 1 Redding St. Helena
Fresno - 2 Redwood City Stockton
Hollister Sacramento -1 Tracy
Lodi Salinas Turlock
Madera San Francisco - Adjacent To Potrero Vallejo
Marysville - 1 San Francisco - Beach Street Watsonville - 1
Merced San Francisco - Fillmore Watsonville - 2
Modesto - 1 San Francisco - North Beach Willows
Monterey San Francisco - Potrero Woodland
Napa San Luis Obispo - 1
  • Corporate Responsibility Report
  • Power Pathway
  • PG&E's Sustainability Journey