Manufactured Gas Plants
Former Santa Rosa Manufactured Gas Plant
PG&E, under the oversight of the North Coast Regional Water Quality Control Board, has completed an additional phase of a multi-phase remediation project at a former manufactured gas plant (MGP) that historically operated near the corner of First Street and Santa Rosa Avenue in Santa Rosa, California. PG&E plans to address the remaining impacts at the site and is currently developing remediation plans under the continued oversight of the Regional Water Board and the Santa Rosa Fire Department. The site is currently the location of an office building parking lot, and is no longer owned by PG&E.
This phase of site cleanup included the removal of 55,000 gallons of liquid coal tar using electrical resistance heating technology and disposal of 200 tons of soil containing former gas plant residues from the gas holder. The site has been restored as a parking lot.
A Feasibility Study for the remaining portions of the site, approved by the Water Board in 2012, is being re-evaluated. Our goal is to identify environmentally protective remedies with minimal impacts to the surrounding community. We anticipate that plans for the next phase of remediation will be finalized in 2013 or 2014.
PG&E acquired and operated the former Santa Rosa MGP from 1908 until 1924, at which time the plant was closed and dismantled. The site later operated as a natural gas distribution center and PG&E sold the property in 1987.
- Press Democrat: PG&E is Committed to Cleanup in Downtown Santa Rosa, April 2013
- Currents Article: Santa Rosa - PG&E Making Progress on Cleanup of Century-Old Gas Plant
- Final Supplemental Feasibility Study, April 2012 (PDF, 12.5 MB)
- Draft Feasibility Study Informational Notice, July 2010 (PDF, 298 KB) (2010.PDF, 298 KB)
- Regional Water Board Resources & Contact Information
- Informational Notice, July 2010 (PDF, 298 KB)
Site related documents can be found at:
Sonoma County Library - Santa Rosa Branch, 211 E Street, Santa Rosa, CA 95404, (707) 545-0831