Manufactured Gas Plants
Former Redding Manufactured Gas Plant
PG&E operated a former manufactured gas plant (MGP), which was located within the block bound by Waldon, California, Gold and South Streets in Redding, California. The MGP operated from 1886 to 1947. PG&E acquired the plant in 1919 and operated it until its closure. The facility was then dismantled, except for the gas holder, which was removed in the early 1960s. PG&E later sold portions of the property, which have since been used for a variety of commercial and industrial uses. A gas regulator station operates on the portion of the property still owned by PG&E to monitor and adjust the pressure of natural gas pipelines.
From 2002 to 2004, PG&E completed soil removal and groundwater collection and treatment at the site. Soil was also removed in the streets to the greatest extent possible due to existing infrastructure. At this time, PG&E continues to monitor on-site and nearby groundwater conditions and reports results to DTSC and the Water Board. Groundwater is not used for irrigation or drinking purposes. All work is being conducted by PG&E. Work is being overseen by the California Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC) and in coordination with Central Valley Regional Water Quality Control Board (Water Board).
PG&E has worked closely with nearby neighbors and the broader community to inform them of past work and to seek public input. PG&E will continue to keep the community informed about this project through fact sheets, work notices and other outreach, as appropriate.