Manufactured Gas Plants
Former Oakdale Manufactured Gas Plant
As part of a voluntary program under the oversight of the California Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC), PG&E is investigating the site of a former manufactured gas plant (MGP), historically located at 811 West J Street in Oakdale. The site is now the location of PG&E’s Oakdale Service Center.
PG&E has performed several phases of investigation to help determine the extent of remediation that may be necessary at this site. Work was conducted in summer 2009 to remove soil from landscaped areas impacted by gas plant residues. Investigation of other portions of the site continued in 2010, and remediation of a neighboring property was completed in summer 2010. Additional remediation was conducted at the Oakdale High School Athletic Field across the street from the site in July 2012. Based on a Remedial Action Plan approved by DTSC, remediation of PG&E’s service center will occur in late 2012 or early 2013 depending on weather conditions.
The former Oakdale MGP operated from 1913 to 1930. PG&E acquired the plant in 1928 and operated it until its closure. The plant was completely dismantled by 1945 and a service center has operated onsite since around 1933.
- Public Notice – June 2010
- Work Notice – October 2009 (PDF, 223 KB)
- DTSC Resources & Contact Information
Site-related documents can also be found at:
Oakdale Public Library, 151 South 1st Street, Oakdale (209-847-4204)