Manufactured Gas Plants
Former Merced Manufactured Gas Plant
PG&E is working to address environmental impacts from historical operations at the site of a former manufactured gas plant (MGP), which operated at 560 West 15th Street in Merced, California. The MGP operated from 1883 to 1930, at which time natural gas became available and the plant was shut down and dismantled. PG&E acquired the property in 1930 and has since used it for service center operations. All work is being conducted voluntarily by PG&E and is being overseen by the California Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC).
Since 2008, investigation work has taken place at the site to determine the extent of MGP residues left in soil, soil gas (air in between soil particles) and groundwater. A draft cleanup plan (called a draft Removal Action Workplan or draft RAW) is currently being finalized. PG&E is working with DTSC to incorporate sustainable methods into this plan and reduce the environmental footprint of cleanup and operations. The cleanup plan will be available for public review in early 2014. DTSC will consider and respond to all public comments received prior to approving the cleanup plan.
PG&E will continue to keep the community informed about this project through fact sheets, work notices and other outreach, as appropriate.
Site-related documents can also be found at:
Merced County Library, 2100 O Street, Merced (209-385-7643)