Manufactured Gas Plants
Former Hollister Manufactured Gas Plant
PG&E is working to address environmental impacts at the site of a former manufactured gas plant (MGP) at 6th and Sally Streets in Hollister, California. The MGP operated from 1886 to about 1935. In 1935, Santa Cruz began providing Hollister with natural gas, and by 1943, the MGP structures were dismantled and removed from the site. In 1988, a 2,000-gallon underground gasoline storage tank (UST) was removed. The site is now the location of PG&E’s Hollister Service Center. All work is being conducted voluntarily by PG&E and is being overseen by the California Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC).
Site investigation was completed in 2010 to evaluate the extent of historic gas-manufacturing impacts to soil, soil gas (the air between soil particles) and groundwater. Additional sampling was conducted in February 2012 to help prepare a draft cleanup plan, called a Remedial Action Plan (RAP). This plan has been approved by DTSC and remediation is expected to begin in summer 2013. The PG&E Service Center will temporarily relocate during the site cleanup.
PG&E will continue to keep the community informed about this project through fact sheets, work notices and other outreach, as appropriate.
- Environmental Cleanup Work Notice – August 2013 (PDF, 195 KB)
- Fact Sheet UST Case Closure – March 2013 (PDF, 666 KB)
- Pre-Design Work Notice – February 2013 (PDF, 200 KB)
- Remedial Action Plan Public Notice – November 2012 (PDF, 162 KB)
- Remedial Action Plan Fact Sheet – November 2012 (PDF, 637 KB)
- DTSC Resources & Contact Information
Site-related documents can also be found at:
San Benito County Free Library, 470 Fifth Street, Hollister (831-636-4107)