Manufactured Gas Plants
Former Fresno - 1 Manufactured Gas Plant
PG&E, under the oversight of the California Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC), has a voluntary program to investigate and remediate impacts from historical operations at the site of a former manufactured gas plant (MGP) that operated at 211 North Thorne Avenue in Fresno. The site is now the location of a PG&E-owned Gas Load Center.
Based on investigation findings, PG&E has prepared a remedial investigation report that defines the extent of impacts to soil and groundwater from historical gas plant operations. Additional investigation was conducted in winter 2010 to help inform the design and implementation of a final remedy for the site. A supplemental investigation report (PDF, 247 KB) was prepared and approved by DTSC in summer 2011. PG&E will prepare a work plan for remediation, which will be available for public review and comment prior to DTSC approving the plan.
PG&E operated the former Fresno MGP from 1918 to 1929. The plant remained on standby status until 1956. All gas plant structures were removed by 1963, at which time the northern portion of the property was sold. PG&E repurchased the parcel in 2000 to facilitate the site investigation and remediation work.
Site-related documents can also be found at:
Fresno County Free Library, 2420 Mariposa Street, Fresno (209-488-3195)