(Revised April 2010)
Pacific Gas and Electric Company ("PG&E,") understands the importance you place on the privacy and security of information that personally identifies you or your Company account information. We refer to this information as "Personal Information," and we are committed to preventing unauthorized disclosure of such information.
- Information We Collect
- How We Use The Information
- We ask you to provide Personal Information when you access various customer services offered on the website, and that information enables us to provide you with better service. We may use this information to contact you to respond to an inquiry that you send to the Company or to keep you informed about the Company and its services. If you send us an e-mail, then we consider e-mail communication to be at your consent, and we will e-mail you.
- In order to provide you with services offered on our website, or to complete transactions or requests initiated by you on the website, we may transfer you to outside services provided by third-party operators. In certain instances, the third-party content may be "framed" in such a way it appears that you are still on PG&E's website. In such cases, we will have agreements with those third parties whose websites you may be transferred to, under which the third parties agree to maintain the confidentiality of Personal Information about you and to use it only to help us serve you.
- Other than as set forth herein, PG&E does not release Personal Information about you to any other person or business entity without your prior written consent. Written consent may be obtained electronically, such as by e-mail.
There are, however, certain exceptions that have been authorized by the CPUC or the California Legislature. PG&E may release Personal Information about you without your prior written consent as follows:
• To law enforcement officers, pursuant to legal process (such as a warrant or subpoena approved by a judge);
• To contractors providing utility-related services on behalf of PG&E—but only to the extent necessary to render the service and subject to confidentiality and security obligations;
• To the CPUC (or other governmental agencies with jurisdiction over PG&E), when they require such information;
• To others as required by court order or by applicable laws, rules, or regulations governing PG&E; and
• To credit reporting agencies, and to collection agencies (if your account is assigned for collection).
We do not sell or provide Personal Information about you to third parties for their commercial benefit.
- We request you protect the confidentiality of your user name and password. You are responsible for all activity on the website accessed by your user name and password.
- Children's Privacy Online
We share our customers' concern that children's privacy is important. We have areas of the site intended for the use of children containing information about energy and safety. We also provide free classroom materials for teachers on energy awareness and safety. We do not monitor the age of users of the website. However, if you are under the age of 18, you should not submit Personal Information on the website or any websites without the consent of your parent or guardian.
- General Usage Information
- Your visits to the website. We collect information about usage of the website, such as the number of visitors to the website and the number of users that click on certain links or utilize certain services. For some applications, such as Rate Analysis, we link usage information with the particular customer visiting the website. We use industry standard software to create summary statistics of the usage data we collect, which may then be used to highlight what our visitors find interesting, to improve the website design specifications, to identify system performance issues and for other internal purposes.
- Our Use of Your IP Address. An Internet Protocol ("IP") address is a number automatically assigned to your computer every time you browse the Internet. When you visit the website, our servers log your current IP address. We may use your IP address to help diagnose problems with our servers and to administer the website. Your IP address is not tied to your Personal Information and we do not use it to identify you when logging IP address data.
While browsing the website, you may encounter hypertext links to other third-party operated websites. These third-party websites may send their own cookies to you, log your IP address, and otherwise collect data or solicit Personal Information. PG&E DOES NOT CONTROL AND IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR WHAT THIRD PARTIES DO IN CONNECTION WITH THEIR WEBSITES, OR HOW THEY HANDLE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION. PLEASE EXERCISE CAUTION AND CONSULT THE PRIVACY POLICIES POSTED ON EACH THIRD-PARTY WEBSITE FOR FURTHER INFORMATION.
Once you login to PG&E's online services, any account information you enter or that is displayed in your browser window is secured using an industry standard security technology known as Secure Sockets Layer ("SSL"). By using SSL, we attempt to safeguard the confidentiality of your Personal and Financial Information. Your browser must be capable of supporting SSL. Please check with your browser manufacturer for details.
Pacific Gas and Electric Company
Director, Online Communications
Mail Code B29G
77 Beale Street
P.O. Box 770000
San Francisco, CA 94177